Susan Goodman Komen (Suzy) fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul. Throughout her diagnosis, treatments, and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation. Moved by Suzy’s compassion for others and commitment to making a difference, her sister, Nancy Brinker promised her that she would do
Susan G. Komen (left) with her sister Nancy Brinker.
everything in her power to end breast cancer and at the same time help women who were suffering. Though Suzy lost her battle with the disease, her legacy lives on through the work of Susan G. Komen ®, the organization Nancy started in her honor.
Susan G. Komen ® is the global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested more than $1 billion in breast cancer research since its inception in 1982. Komen’s promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures. Across the country, that promise is upheld by a network of local Affiliate offices. At the heart of each Affiliate is a group of people who, like Suzy, want to make a difference.
SUSAN G. KOMEN SAN DIEGO
Susan G. Komen San Diego is the only organization in San Diego County that exclusively addresses the fight against breast cancer on all levels. We have one clear mission: saving lives and ending breast cancer forever. We study San Diego County every four years to formulate our community profile, which informs us of the gaps in breast cancer care and the barriers to health access. Komen San Diego then provides the community with breast health services to fill the gap and increase access to early detection and quality treatment.
WE SAVE LIVES BY SUPPORTING:
• Free diagnostic mammograms
• Free diagnostic services for women who are uninsured or underinsured
• Help with life expenses, medical expenses, rent, food, meal delivery, child care and transportation
• Public awareness and education about breast cancer issues
• Support for women diagnosed with cancer who are enrolled in treatment programs
• Public Policy and Advocacy to translate the Komen promise to end breast cancer forever into action at all levels of government
• Research to discover and deliver the cures