susanandnancySusan G. Komen fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul.  Throughout her diagnosis, treatments, and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation.  Moved by Susan’s compassion for others and commitment to making a difference, Nancy G. Brinker promised her sister that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer and at the same time help women who were suffering.

Though Susan lost her battle with the disease, her legacy lives on through the work of Susan G. Komen ®, the organization Nancy started in her honor.  Susan G. Komen ® is the global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested more than $1 billion in breast cancer research since its inception in 1982.  Komen’s promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.  Across the country, that promise is upheld by a network of 122 local Affiliate offices.  At the heart of each Affiliate is a group of people who, like Susan, wanted to make a difference.
In photo:  Susan G. Komen (left) with her sister Nancy Brinker.

 

In San Diego Since 1995

Since its inception in 1995, Komen San Diego has raised more than $12.5 million to fund local non-profits who provide everything from free diagnostic mammograms and surgeries to meal delivery, child care and temporary financial aid. Seventy-five percent of every dollar raised stays right here in San Diego County to fund free diagnostic mammograms, treatment and services for qualified women and their families. The remaining 25 percent funds international breast cancer research. In fact, next to the U.S. government, Susan G. Komen is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world.

Funds Support

Through events and donations, Susan G. Komen ® is able to bring funding and hope to the fight against breast cancer.  Each year the Komen Race for the Cure®, 5k, and the Breast Cancer 3Day®, raise significant funds and awareness for breast cancer, celebrating breast cancer survivorship and honoring those who have lost their battle with the disease.  With pledges from these events and donations throughout the year, strides are being made to continue the quest for a cure.  Each year, 75 percent of our proceeds are awarded through a grant process to local organizations.  Each grantee conducts a program that offers breast cancer education, screening or treatment to residents in the San Diego area.  The remaining 25 percent is directed to the Susan G. Komen National Grant Program to fund research on a national and international level.  Since the San Diego Affiliate’s inception in 1995, nearly $9 million has been given to local organizations that provide breast cancer education, screening, diagnostics, treatment and patient support for the uninsured or underinsured in San Diego County.

Change the System.  Be the Solution.

You can be the difference.  You can help end breast cancer forever.  The Komen Champions for the Cure® advocacy program is focused on education Congress, federal officials, state legislators and other policy makers about breast cancer through community involvement.  Komen Champions for the Cure was inspired by the commitment and force of Komen volunteers who want to join the fight.  From breast cancer research to early detection and quality care, Komen Champions for the Cure aims to influence the federal government on crucial breast cancer issues by contacting Members of Congress.  By challenging candidates and those in public office to make breast cancer a priority, you can change the system and you can be the solution to breast cancer.  Click here to register for the Advocacy Alliance through Komen National.

Mission Statement

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures.