There is power in pink.
All pink ribbons are not created equal. As the global leader of the breast cancer movement, we’re dedicated to one thing only – breast cancer. Komen is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists, and remains the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer across the globe.
An International Force for Research; at Work Locally to Help Uninsured Women in Need
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure® operates on two levels: the national organization is solely responsible for granting and managing research grants. Next to the U.S. government, Komen is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world; the 120 Affiliates of Susan G. Komen (such as here in San Diego) are responsible for studying the local community and disparities in accessing breast health services; raising money and granting it to local organizations to close the gaps to health care.
- In San Diego, of every dollar we raise, 75 cents stays in the local community to fund everything from free mammograms and surgery to meal delivery, child care and temporary financial aid. The remaining 25 cents goes into a pool to help fund research grants at the National level. In April 2012, we granted $1.2 million to local organizations; another $400,000 was earmarked for research.
Accomplishments & Programs
- Created in 1995, the San Diego County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the trusted, local organization for accurate information and free services for all aspects of breast cancer.
- Komen is San Diego County’s only breast cancer organization committed to providing free services and education for every step of the breast cancer journey.
- In 2011, Komen San Diego helped to fund mammograms and diagnostic services for 11, 000 uninsured women in San Diego County.
- The Komen San Diego Race for the Cure® is consistently one of San Diego’s favorite charity walks attracting 15,000 participants.
- Komen San Diego funds partnerships throughout San Diego County to ensure all women, despite geographic, cultural and financial barriers, have access to breast health services. For a list of our current grantees, please visit our grants page (insert link to grants)
- Komen-funded research has laid the groundwork for many promising treatments – tamoxifen, arimidex, and herceptin – as well as the discovery of the gene indicators BRCA1 and BRCA2 for inherited forms of breast cancer.
- Every major advance in the fight against breast cancer has been touched by Susan G. Komen for the Cure research.
Awards & Recognition
- For the fourth year in a row, Susan G. Komen for the Cure has been awarded a four-star rating from Charity Navigator, the premier independent charity evaluator that rates charities by evaluating financial health, organizational efficiency, and organizational capacity.
- The 2010 rankings of nonprofits market research firm Harris Interactive ranked Komen for the Cure as the number one most valuable nonprofit brand and the charity people are most likely to donate to. Komen also ranked second among the most trusted nonprofit organizations in America.