Susan G. Komen San Diego
RACE FOR THE CURE®
The Walk to End Breast Cancer
Sunday, November 4, 2018 | Balboa Park
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN.
T-SHIRT/PACKET PICK UP
Your team captain is responsible for attending one of the packet pickup events to pick up Race T-shirts and bib numbers for all your team members and communicating with you about how she/he will get your items to you and where you will meet on Race day. Individuals not on a team can also plan to attend one of the packet pick up locations to avoid lines on Race Day.
Location and dates to be announced.
New Balance is the Official T-Shirt Sponsor for the Race For the Cure Series.
RACE DAY TIMELINE
- Race day registration & t-shirt pickup open – grassy area near 6th Avenue and Olive.
- Survivor Village open – grassy area near Balboa Dr. and Olive — a dedicated space where we honor (and pamper) our survivors. Survivors will enjoy breakfast while celebrating and supporting each other in an atmosphere of solidarity.
- Sponsor & vendor expo open along Balboa Dr.
- Komen Pop-Up Shop open in expo area. Make sure to get your one-of-a-kind Komen San Diego merchandise and show it off at the Race.
- Opening and Survivor Ceremony starts — meet us at the Race Main Stage for a memorable ceremony that celebrates breast cancer survivors, forever fighters and honors those we have lost to the disease.
- Race for the Cure 5K Walk and 1-mile walk starts on 6th Avenue at the intersection of Palm St. Click here to view the map.
- Closing Ceremonies start at the Race Main Stage.
Important Note: The Race starts promptly at 8:00 a.m. – late starters will not be allowed on the course.
FEE SCHEDULE | Register early and save!
*Prices for participating in the 5K and 1 mile are the same. You will be asked to choose which course you’d like during the registration process.
REGISTER AS A VIRTUAL PARTICIPANT
New and returning volunteers are encouraged to get involved. All volunteers will receive a unique Race Volunteer T-shirt! Click here to explore volunteer opportunities at Race!
You’ll find an incredible community of survivors and co-survivors at the Susan G. Komen San Diego Race for the Cure®. Survivors and co-survivors gather to celebrate and support one another in an atmosphere of genuine camaraderie. It is their inspiring spirit that energizes us to continue the fight to end breast cancer forever and their fundraising efforts that encourage other participants to be More Than Pink™ .
Survivor Village (where you have breakfast and gift bags) will open at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday, November 4th.
Be a part of the Survivor Parade during the Opening Ceremony!
- Fill out your personalized Survivor Sign located at the front of the Survivor Village
- Meet behind the main stage at 7:10 a.m.
- You will be directed to walk on the stage at the appropriate time during the Opening Ceremony
I Am Komen® is the mission engagement program of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series that motivates people to take action steps that may reduce their risk of breast cancer. It speaks to the importance of early detection and healthy living while encouraging everyone to make a personal commitment to their breast health. I Am Komen® is a “Declaration” to join the Komen community as an ambassador in the fight against breast cancer.
What you can do to help:
For more information about the I Am Komen® program, breast health information, and ways that you can personally get involved, please visit iamkomen.org. If you’re interested in learning more about volunteer opportunities at our Race, including becoming an I Am Komen® volunteer, please contact us or visit our Volunteer page. Our I Am Komen® program is ideal for volunteers of all ages seeking to get involved in the Komen Race for the Cure®.
10/13/18 Deadline to raise $5,000 or get 100 people on your team to secure a team tent.
10/24/18 Deadline to get your T-shirt and bib mailed to you.
10/26/18 Team Registration Deadline (Online/Offline) After 5:00 p.m. no one can join your team. They can, however, register online as an individual and walk/run with your team on Race Day. Team Captains: Please note that team members signed up after this date will not be included in your team package.
10/26/18 Team Tent Reservation Form deadline to submit.
10/29/18 & 10/30/18 – Team Packet Pickup (Race T-shirts/bibs) Team Packets must be picked up by the Team Captain or a team representative. Check KomenSanDiego.org for last-minute updates and send out final reminders to team members on where to meet on Race day. Times and locations TBD. Online registration closes at midnight on Wed 10/31.
10/31/18 Online registration closes. But you can still register in person. Download the form here.
10/31/18 Mail in all offline paper entries. Please do not mail cash! Mail forms to: Komen San Diego Race for the Cure, c/o In Motion, Inc., 6116 Innovation Way, Carlsbad, CA 92009
11/04/18 Komen San Diego Race for the Cure® Enjoy the Race! AFTER RACE Show your appreciation to your team and donors. Share photos of the Race and thank them for their support of our mission to create a world without breast cancer! #KomenSD #RaceforTheCureSD
11/11/18 Race for the Cure Fundraising closes, last day for online and mailed donations.
SOCIAL MEDIA TOOLKIT
We’ve prepared some sample social media posts and images to help you to inspire friends and family to donate and encourage others to participate in the event with you. Personal messages make the biggest impact, so feel free to share your own stories and messages. These sample posts we’ve prepared are simply a place to start. Click here to view.
IMPORTANT STREET CLOSURE & AREA EVENT DETAILS
SPECIFIC STREET CLOSURES AND HOURS:
- 6th Avenue from Ivy to Upas 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Laurel Street from 5th Ave to El Prado 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Balboa Drive from Marston Pt to Upas 6:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Pan American Road from El Prado to Presidents Way 7:45 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Presidents Way from PanAmerican Road to Park Blvd 7:45 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
There will be no parking on 6th Ave. starting at 4:00 a.m. from Grape to Upas. If you are located near the streets mentioned above, you may want to notify friends, family, customers, etc. about possible traffic delays and/or detours. If you need help in determining the impact on your particular street or in planning an alternative route, please contact our Race Team, In Motion, at (760) 692-2900 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please know that we’ll do everything we can to minimize the impact to your morning, and we appreciate your patience. And if you decide to join us for the race, you’ll share a special feeling of giving, along with the thousands of others who make Susan G. Komen San Diego the most powerful force in breast cancer survival.
Questions about the Race for the Cure, 5k and 1 mile?
Please contact our Race Headquarters, In Motion Events, at (760) 692-2900 or via email at email@example.com.