16 Apr SUSAN G. KOMEN AFFILIATES ACROSS CALIFORNIA LAUNCH RESPONSE FUND TO SUPPORT BREAST CANCER PATIENTS DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Fund Will Support Urgent Needs of People Facing Breast Cancer During Health and Economic Crisis
SAN DIEGO, Calf. (April 16, 2020) – The California affiliates of Susan G. Komen are announcing the formation of its Komen California Response Fund to combat the consequences of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) that is greatly impacting the lives of local patients battling breast cancer. This new fund will help support the unique needs of residents facing breast cancer during this health and economic crisis across their services areas including Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, Inland Empire, and Northern and Central California.
The impact of COVID-19, including rising unemployment, mandatory stay at home orders, and an overburdened healthcare system are causing the perfect storm for breast cancer patients who have questions or need care. The fund allows Komen affiliates to use the funds in whatever manner they deem necessary to provide those they serve with the care they need. The Komen California Response Fund answers urgent needs in the local breast cancer community today, ensuring those facing a breast cancer diagnosis can still access vital services, including:
- Patient navigation to support the local breast health community in gaining access to vital resources for treatment by breaking down economic, social, and emotional barriers
- Financial assistance for cost of living expenses for those in active treatment
- Advocacy for transformative health policies and improved access to affordable, high-quality breast health and cancer care services
- Virtual educational experiences facilitated by experts to provide critical, timely information related to breast health and COVID19 and addressing questions and concerns on how to cope with stress and anxiety
- Virtual Safe Community Space for survivors, those living with Metastatic Breast Cancer and advocates to share their stories, build connections and support during this time
- Lifesaving research and clinical trials to discover new treatments
- Operational Support in partnership with local breast health organizations to help meet higher demands they are seeing during COVID-19 pandemic
The Komen California Response Fund will be helping patients, survivors, caregivers, and families who urgently need support now more than ever.
Individuals and companies interested in supporting the unique needs of breast cancer patients during this health crisis are encouraged to visit KomenSanDiego.org/Coronavirus learn more and to contribute to the fund or call 858-573-2760or email firstname.lastname@example.org.